Thursday, February 19, 2009

"A Commodity Called Misery"

"HOPKINS VILLAGE, BELIZE -- Sitting down here in Central America happily abusing my health, occasionally, between the hangovers and the bouts with sand fleas and mosquitoes comes an insight or two, or at least what passes for insight in my lowbrow take on life. One of these is just how damned lucky the Third World is that it cannot afford a sophisticated mental health system. By that I mean the kind in the "developed countries," where murder and suicide rates are quintuple what they are here in this village. Not that we are without own village resources. My Garifuna buddy Eljay, was in what we would call a depressed state a few months ago, and went to a local "spirit doctor."....."read article in its entirety...Joe Bageant @ his blog 'Deer Hunting With Jesus'...

Joe's article seems to me to be in the spirit of evolving happy. Check it out.

No comments: