Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dream segment...

i am at a large gathering of people for a music event...each person performing is playing one song...i am going to play Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" on guitar...i have not cleaned my guitar in a while, so i am looking for something to use for this purpose on the store shelves behind the seating area...i find some baby oil, and say "this will do"...there is a guy i know there who is being helpful...i am next to perform, i get my instrument and walk over to a folding chair, i say "hi!" as i look around the room at everyone...a man seated in front of me says, "just play the song"...there is silence in the room as i leaf through my music book for the song, i think about how i should have practiced so that i wouldn't need the music...i find the song and begin to play, soon i am lost and begin to just make it all up...i am singing with a lot of feeling, however, even if my strumming is a bit bland...somehow i bring it all to a close, one of the guitar strings has frayed, i laugh quietly to myself about this...in the underwhelming aftermath of my performance, i lean over to the person next to me and ask, "am i supposed to play another song?", she replies, "no, just one"...i am glad, as i did not know what i would have played...

No comments: